In the wake of a incident in a Bengal hospital where a woman was allegedly swabbed with carbolic acid instead of antiseptic, the National Commission for Protection of Child Rights (NCPCR) has demanded a complete investigation into the incident leading to the reported death of a neo-natal baby and submission of Action Taken Report (ATR) from the state government within 15 days. One Sikha Bibi was admitted to the Lalbag hospital in Murshidabad district of West Bengal on Sunday where she gave birth to a baby boy. During the delivery, it was alleged that the medical staff swabbed her with carbolic acid instead of antiseptic resulting in burn injuries on her body and death of the newborn. The Commission has taken cognizance of this incident as it amounts to violation of the child’s right to life, survival and development and desired that a detailed investigation may be conducted and strict action be taken against Lalbag sub-divisional hospital for their ‘negligence’ as reported.
The Central body also asked the West Bengal Government to report to NCPCR the action taken so far by the concerned departments at the state level, specially the department of health, to prevent infant deaths. It also demanded that the victim may be given treatment and counseling at the state’s expense. “The Bengal incident is really shocking and NCPCR has already written to the state government asking it to submit a detailed and factual report in this matter within 15 days,’’ said Mr Vinod Kumar Tikoo, Member, NCPCR.
It may be mentioned that the incident comes just days after 41 babies (12 crib deaths occurred in a Burdwan hospital and 13 baby deaths at Kolkata’s BC Roy Referral hospital) died in West Bengal within 6 days, for which the NCPCR has already sought a separate investigation and ATR from the state government.
- NCPCR asks for ATR from UP govt. on alleged death of 500 Children in Eastern UP due to encephalitis (equalityindia.wordpress.com)
- Child rights body criticizes police inaction (shaktivahini.wordpress.com)
- NCPCR’s intervention brings relief to child illegally detained, abused & tortured by Haryana police (equalityindia.wordpress.com)
- NCPCR’s intervention brings relief to child illegally detained, abused & tortured by Haryana police (traffickingnews.wordpress.com)
- NCPCR irked over dismal state of child labourers in BT cotton farms in Gujarat (traffickingnews.wordpress.com)
- National Commission for Protection of Child Rights takes Suo Moto Cognizance of the Report saying Doctors turn Scores of Baby Girls into Boys in Indore in MP (equalityindia.wordpress.com)
- NCPCR unhappy over the lackluster attitude of District Administration towards Infanticide cases of Baby Girls in Jaisalmer, Rajasthan reinvestigation ordered (equalityindia.wordpress.com)
- NCPCR offers support to campaign against child trafficking (shaktivahini.wordpress.com)