SOCIAL AND DEVELOPMENT NEWS IS A SHAKTI VAHINI INITIATIVE
The National Commission for Protection of Child Rights (NCPCR) has taken suo motu cognizance of alleged violations / deprivations of child rights in Uttar Pradesh and written to the state Chief Secretary to file an Action Taken Report(ATR) in 15 days. The letter is dispatched on 8th October,2011
The Commission has cited a News Report , wherein, in it has been mentioned that “the deadly encephalitis, a water or mosquito borne viral disease, has been striking with alarming regularity in the eastern parts of Uttar Pradesh and 500 children have died due to it in the last two months. More than 50,000 lives have been lost in the last three decades as the public health system has collapsed in the region, which is one of the poorest in India”
The Commission says the matter amounts to violation of ‘children’s right to life, survival and development’, which need to be protected under Article 6 of the UN Convention in the Rights of the Child (ratified by India on 11.12.1992), Article 21 of the Constitution of India and Section 2(b) of CPCR Act, 2005.
In view of the above, the Commission has sought factual data on the following:
(i) The total number of cases of encephalitis reported so far this year and in the previous year and the number of deaths of children in each year;
(ii) The existing mechanism for review of the health calamities in the State of Uttar Pradesh?
(iii) Whether the State Government was in the knowledge of the epidemic through its own departmental functionaries at the District level? Was this issue brought to the notice of the State Government by the district authorities. If yes, share the report?
(v) What support and instructions were given to the hospitals and Health Department to combat the epidemic?
(vi) What are the emergency, immediate corrective measures being taken up now to address the issue?
(vii) Whether the existing Public Health System (PHS) is adequate to cope with the calamity? If not, what measures have been contemplated for revamping the PHS?
(viii) The measures contemplated to eradicate for encephalitis once for all.
The National Commission for Protection of Child Rights (NCPCR) has been constituted under Section-3 of the Commission for Protection of Child Rights (CPCR) Act, 2005 for protection of rights and dealing with order related matters.
- NCPCR’s intervention brings relief to child illegally detained, abused & tortured by Haryana police (traffickingnews.wordpress.com)
- NCPCR offers support to campaign against child trafficking (shaktivahini.wordpress.com)
- NCPCR unhappy over the lackluster attitude of District Administration towards Infanticide cases of Baby Girls in Jaisalmer, Rajasthan reinvestigation ordered (equalityindia.wordpress.com)
- NCPCR’s intervention brings relief to child illegally detained, abused & tortured by Haryana police (equalityindia.wordpress.com)
- Socio-Economic Profile of Elected Women Representatives (equalityindia.wordpress.com)
- Eradication of Child Labour (equalityindia.wordpress.com)
- Bonded Labour (Abolition) Act 1976 (equalityindia.wordpress.com)
- Bonded Labourers System (Abolition) Act, 1976 (equalityindia.wordpress.com)
- Rehabilitataion of Bonded Labour (equalityindia.wordpress.com)