A SHAKTI VAHINI RESEARCH INITIATIVE
A comprehensive study on ‘Girls and Women in Prostitution in India’ conducted in 2004, which was sponsored by the Ministry of Women and Child Development, had estimated that there were about 2.8 million prostitutes in the country of which 36% are children.
The Minister of State (I/C) for Women & Child Development Smt. Krishna Tirath revealed in Lok Sabha today that as per the information received from the Government of Madhya Pradesh, the probe into child sex trade among Banchra tribe has been completed. As part of the measures taken to curb the instances of child sex trade amongst the Banchra tribe, a survey was conducted by the State Government in the abodes of the tribe where the arrival of minor girls was closely observed. As a result of the survey 25 minor girls were rescued and sent to shelter homes where they are being provided with education and other facilities.
The Minister informed the house that the Government of India is taking a number of measures to prevent and combat trafficking for commercial sexual exploitation in the country. The Immoral Traffic (Prevention) Act, 1956 supplemented by the Indian Penal Code prohibits trafficking in human beings, including children and lays down penalties for trafficking. A Comprehensive Advisory on Preventing and Combating Human Trafficking in India has been issued on 09.09.2009 by the Government of India to all States/ Union Territories. Further, the Ministry has been implementing the “Ujjawala” Scheme, under which financial assistance is being provided, inter alia, for prevention of trafficking through formation of community vigilance groups/adolescence groups, holding sensitization and awareness generation workshops and preparing awareness generation material.
- Rehabilitation of Sex Workers (equalityindia.wordpress.com)
- Women Trafficking (equalityindia.wordpress.com)
- Significance of the United Nations Convention against Transnational Organized Crime (UNTOC) to address human trafficking / Interview with Mr G K Pillai, Union Home Secretary, Government of India (equalityindia.wordpress.com)
- The Body Shop India and Ecpat Will Present Over 300,000 Petitions to the National Government As India Ratifies the Un Convention Against Human Trafficking. (shaktivahini.wordpress.com)
- Indias Efforts to Curb Trafficking in Persons Recognised by the Us Trafficking in Persons Report. India Upgraded to Tier 2 (equalityindia.wordpress.com)
- Body Shop/ Shakti Vahini to fight human trafficking in India (shaktivahini.wordpress.com)
- Notorious Trafficker Arrested – 9 Victims Rescued. (shaktivahini.wordpress.com)
- NCPCR offers support to campaign against child trafficking (shaktivahini.wordpress.com)
- Many owners of domestic help placement agencies trafficking, raping women: Report (shaktivahini.wordpress.com)