A SHAKTI VAHINI RESEARCH INITIATIVE
The Union Labour & Employment Minister Shri Mallikarjun Kharge has informed the Rajya Sabha that there are various types of private placement agencies operating in the country. On the basis of their regulation/coverage, these agencies can be broadly classified into four categories: (i)Manpower Export and Placement Agencies- covered under Immigration Act, 1983 ;(ii) Labour Contractors covered under Contract (Abolition & Regulation) Act, 1970 and the Inter-State Migrant Workmen(Regulation of Employment and Conditions of Service) Act, 1979; (iii)Private Security Agencies – governed by Private Security Agencies(Regulation)Act,2005; and (iv) Private Placement Agencies catering to specific needs of the employers/labour market or temporary workers and not covered under first three categories.
The first three categories of private placement agencies have to obtain licence and register themselves with respective authorities as per the provisions of relevant Act/Rules. However, the fourth category of private placement agencies is not covered by any specific Act. Some States/UTs have issued guidelines to register them under their Shop & Establishment Act by the Labour Department.
In order to safeguard the interest of jobseekers, Ministry of Labour & Employment issued guidelines on 30.10.2003 to the State Governments/ Union Territory Administrations to consider regulation of the functioning of Private Placement Agencies, as per local needs. These guidelines do not stipulate mandatory registration with local police station.
Complaints, if any, are received by respective State Government/UT Administrations, and are dealt with by them as per the provisions of above mentioned Act(s) and /or provisions of Indian Penal Code. The details of these complaints are not maintained centrally.
The Minister was replying to a written question in the Rajya Sabha today.
- Rehabilitation of Child Labourers Working in Food Stalls (equalityindia.wordpress.com)
- Bonded Labourers System (Abolition) Act, 1976 (equalityindia.wordpress.com)
- Eradication of Child Labour (equalityindia.wordpress.com)
- Domestic Workers under RSBY (equalityindia.wordpress.com)
- Action against Recruiting Agents (equalityindia.wordpress.com)
- Women Trafficking (equalityindia.wordpress.com)
- Notorious Trafficker Arrested – 9 Victims Rescued. (shaktivahini.wordpress.com)
- 9 girls rescued, kingpin held (shaktivahini.wordpress.com)
- Glare on job agencies (shaktivahini.wordpress.com)
- Complaints of growing abuse by placement agencies in Delhi (shaktivahini.wordpress.com)
- Court tells cops to ‘physically’ verify records of fake placement agency (shaktivahini.wordpress.com)
- Nine girls rescued from job agency (shaktivahini.wordpress.com)