EQUALITY INDIA NEWS / A SHAKTI VAHINI INITIATIVE
The Minister for Housing and Urban Poverty Alleviation Kumari Selja has said that as per the Census 2001 data available, the State of Tamil Nadu does not have the highest number of urban homeless in India. It has 57,128 urban houseless population. The details as per Census 2001 are annexed.
In a written reply in the Lok Sabha today she said, Ministry of Housing & Urban Poverty Alleviation does not maintain data of night shelters in various states and cities. ‘Housing’ and ‘colonization’ being State subjects, the primary responsibility of providing shelter lies with the State Governments. Central government however, provides financial assistance to States through various schemes. It is currently supporting states to provide shelter, tenure security and basic amenities to slum dwellers, under Jawaharlal Nehru Urban Renewal Mission (JNNURM), create affordable housing stock through the ‘Affordable Housing in Partnership’ Scheme and reduce cost of home loans with 5% interest subsidy under Interest Subsidy Scheme for Housing the Urban Poor (ISHUP) Scheme.
The Minister said, earlier, from 1988-89, the Ministry provided financial support to states to create shelter for the houseless under the scheme for ‘Night Shelter for Urban Shelterless’. Cumulatively, under the erstwhile scheme of Night Shelter for the Urban Footpath Dwellers, 97 schemes seeking inter alia 17341 beds, 15603 toilet seats, 2015 baths and 2102 urinals were sanctioned covering 15 States/Union Territories. The scheme was transferred to the state sector in 2005-06, and financial assistance from the Center was discontinued.
- Rajiv Awas Yojana to begin in 250 Cities (equalityindia.wordpress.com)
- Urban BPL Survey is Expected to Enable the Effective Design and Delivery of Inclusive Programmes for the Urban Poor (equalityindia.wordpress.com)
- Housing to Migratory Labourers (equalityindia.wordpress.com)
- Foreign Assistance for Improving Living Condition in Urban Slums in the Country (equalityindia.wordpress.com)
- People Living in Slums (equalityindia.wordpress.com)