SHAKTI VAHINI RESEARCH INITIATIVE
Smt. Krishna Tirath, Minister of State (Independent Charge) for Women and Child Development in an interaction with the media persons in New Delhi today said that it is good to note that Overall Sex Ratio has Reached 940 – 7 Points Increase Over 2001 and Literacy Rate has gone up to 74.04 Percent from 64.83 Percent showing an increase of 9.21 percentage points. Percentage growth in literacy during 2001-2011 for females is 49.10% which is a good sign. Smt. Tirath however expressed concern over the Child sex ratio (0-6 years) which is 914. There has been an increasing trend in the child sex ratio (0-6) seen in Punjab, Haryana, Himachal Pradesh, Gujarat, Tamil Nadu, Mizoram and A&N Islands. In all remaining 27 States/UTs, the child sex ratio show decline over Census 2001. She said that the fall in girl child population is a matter of concern as Population (0-6 years) 2001-2011 registered minus (-) 3.08 percent growth with minus (-) 2.42 for males and minus (–) 3.80 for females. Mizoram has the highest child sex ratio (0-6 years) of 971 followed by Meghalaya with 970. Haryana is at the bottom with ratio of 830 followed by Punjab with 846. Smt. Krishna Tirath said that she will take up the issue with the problem states and stressed for proper implementation of women and child development schemes. The UPA Government is implementing various schemes for betterment and empowerment of women. Sabla is being implemented by the State Governments/UT Administration through ICDS platform. The Scheme is being implemented in 200 districts selected across the country, including 88 backward districts. Other schemes implemented by the Ministry for development and financial empowerment of women and children in rural areas to improve their well being are:-
Integrated Child Development Services (ICDS)
Rajiv Gandhi National Creche Scheme for the Children of Working Mothers.
Scheme for Welfare of Working Children in Need of Care and Protection.
Indira Gandhi Matritva Sahyog Yojana (IGMSY)
Support to Training and Employment Programme for Women (STEP)
Swadhar – A scheme for Women in Difficult Circumstances.
- Decreasing Sex Ratio in the Country (equalityindia.wordpress.com)
- Smt. Krishna Tirath chairs Conference of State Ministers in charge of Women & Child Development (equalityindia.wordpress.com)
- Child sex ratio worst since Independence: Census 2011 (savedaughters19.wordpress.com)
- Trafficking of Women and Children (equalityindia.wordpress.com)
- WCD Minister Krishna Tirath Opens National Seminar on “Issues Relating to NRI Marriages” (equalityindia.wordpress.com)
- Census puts Indias population at 1.21 billion, 17% of world (theglobeandmail.com)
- Indian census puts population at about 1.2 billion (ctv.ca)
- Conference on Issues and Challenges for Development of Scheduled Caste Women and Children Inagurated (equalityindia.wordpress.com)