- The Indian Medical Council (Amendment) Bill 2010 was introduced in the Lok Sabha on 5th August 2010 to give effect to amendments to the IMC Act 1956 by which in certain specified situations Government can dissolve the elected Medical Council and replace it, for a period not exceeding one year with a nominated Board of governors.
- The “National Institute of Mental Health and Neuro Sciences Bangalore Bill, 2010” was introduced in the Rajya Sabha to facilitate NIMHANS to develop as an Institute of National Importance on the lines of All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research, Chandigarh and Jawaharlal Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education & Research, Puducherry patterns of teaching, with the flexibility to device new courses, constantly evolving syllabi. The Institute will be able to take up new courses that are required and are not currently part of the MCI approved courses.
- The Clinical Establishments (Registration & Regulation) Bill, 2010 was passed by both Houses of Parliament and notified on 19th August 2010. The Act aims at providing registration & regulation of clinical establishments in the country with a view to prescribing minimum standards of facilities and services. This Act will initially take effect in four states viz Arunachal Pradesh, Himachal Pradesh, Mizoram, Sikkim and all Union territories.
- The Indian Medicine Central Council (Amendment) Bill 2010 was passed by Lok Sabha on 3rd August 2010 and the Act was brought into effect on 26th September 2010 to accept Sowa Rigpa as a recognized health care system alongwith the other AYUSH systems.
- Under Rule 85(3) of Drugs & Cosmetics Rules, the Government revoked the suspension of licenses of the three vaccine producing institutes viz. CRI, Kasauli, PII, Coonoor and BCG, Guindy. All the three vaccine producing institutes have started production.
- The draft Bill on the National Council for Human Resources in Health (NCHRH) is being finalized.
- NIMHANS now institute of national importance (topinews.com)